Football plans for 2017 may seem a long way off for most, however FFNC commenced planning even before this season had concluded.
While planning continues in preparation for 2017, we take the opportunity to highlight a range of items and timelines for next season;
- The commencement of the 2017 season will be brought forward ONE week (compared to previous seasons) due to the need to finish the season in advance of two events to be staged at Oakes Oval, Lismore in September and another on ANZAC Day.
- Oakes Oval will be the venue for “ALL or MOST” of the grand finals, noting that Oakes Oval has been reserved by Lismore City Council for THREE big events impacting on FFNC activities, being;
- Nitro Circus for ANZAC Day
- Indigenous Rugby League carnival 16/17 September
- Masters Games 22-24 September
- FFNC will again have an ‘ANZAC Cup” FINALS weekend (as we did in 2016);
- The Tursa Employment & Training ANZAC Cup & Callan McMillan competitions will commence on 24/26 February.
- The Callan McMillan Finals will be scheduled for Friday evening 21st April.
- The ANZAC Cup Finals will be scheduled for Saturday 22nd April.
- The SENIOR competitions will commence on 24th March.
- The commencement of the JUNIOR competitive competitions will be determined when nominations are received and structure of various competitions determined.
- The Newcastle Permanent Grand Final Series will commence 31st August.
- Men’s Premier Grand Final will be played Saturday 9th September.
- Some grand finals will likely be scheduled for Sunday 10th September.
- The ONLY weekends that there will be no senior FFNC domestic football are (1) Easter and (2) June Long weekend.
- We will have NIL “reserve” weekends due to having less weeks to complete the full season.
- The desire of a significant number of senior participants wanting to attend Splendour in the Grass each year in JULY, creates a vexing issue as we will have “nil” extra weekends available in 2017. To avoid senior football completely on the weekend of 21/22/23 July would create at least one double up weekend for senior teams. There is more to be considered on this issue.
- Junior football will likely be scheduled for week 1 of the July school holidays and only “before” school resumes after week 2 of those holidays if it is necessary for the individual competition structure.
There is a lot of information disclosed here and it is only a snapshot of the complexity of every season. We are however wishing to provide information to enable stakeholders to grasp the year ahead from both a playing perspective and an array of logistical demands.
FFNC continues to work on the various items required and we will communicate progressively. TEAM nominations (senior and junior competitive) for season 2017 will likely be due not later than 2nd March, with ANZAC Cup/Callan McMillan nominations required by 9th February. Player registrations will officially open in the zone on the 1st of February 2017.
As always, we urge enquiries to be made to your respective club in the first instance.