Widespread rain that has arrived is predicted to intensify over the next 24-48 hours. Advice received already at FFNC that several clubs have closed their grounds for the weekend, is likely to be the start of broad closures? Conditions are known to be currently more adverse in certain pockets of the zone (including flooding) and we anticipate that most clubs will have little option but to close their grounds, even if the weather clears perhaps Saturday morning???
FFNC would not ordinarily issue an instruction that “all” grounds are closed however an assessment will be made tomorrow as to whether such a decision is appropriate should the dire conditions remain overnight and still exist tomorrow? Normal communication protocol will exist in the event that grounds (any grounds) are closed, with HOME clubs advising FFNC (before 1pm Friday) or alternatively directly to opposition clubs (and their own players) where decisions are made AFTER 1pm Friday. Football Far North Coast is ordinarily reliant upon member clubs to advise of grounds closures and we recommend players/parents/supporters to rely on their own CLUB sources when making enquiries about ground closures. We also ask that you rely on CLUB (or FFNC advice) rather than generic local council information, because information posted on council websites is not always accurate in relation to football grounds?
Clubs also will typically not make decisions prior to Thursday each week, for games that are scheduled for a Friday night, Saturday or Sunday, however weather conditions as they currently are, are not normal and require closer scrutiny than circumstances when it is “simply raining”?? Regular warnings from authorities on TV and radio, road closures, many schools closed and some businesses sending employees home, is evidence of extreme weather and we urge great care and sound judgement being applied.
Our view is that SAFETY is paramount and with the SES and other authorities predicting worsening conditions over the next 24-48 hours, we feel obliged to support their concerns across the community. Even getting to venues at the moment can be treacherous and with many already soggy pitches within the zone generally requiring several days of favourable weather to be considered playable, let’s put “a game of football” into perspective and make decisions that are sound and do not put ourselves in harm’s way.
We also extend our best wishes to our colleagues and participants across the other six zones who have also been impeded by periods of adverse weather in recent times.
PLEASE keep safe and I am sure that football will be played eventually on lush fields that are not surrounded by water (or ducks?)