Women’s Football was the highlight of Week TWO of the Newcastle Permanent Building Society Grand Final Series last weekend.
After some entertaining football played last week when Pointscore Champions Lismore Richmond Rovers defeated Italo Stars in Women’s Division 5 followed by Tintenbar East Ballina coming from fifth on the ladder to win the grand final against Italo Stars, Sunday saw the remaining three Women’s divisions completed for season 2016.
Lismore Workers prevailed in an enthralling and epic Women’s Division 3 grand final against Alstonville, with a penalty shoot-out requiring an extraordinary twenty shots at goal from the penalty spot before Lismore Workers were eventually declared champions. The Women’s Division 2 grand final was a close tussle between Pointscore Champions Goonellabah and coastal club Pottsville Beach FC. It was one beautifully executed goal from a set play for Pottsville Beach that was enough to give them the victory.
Perennial Women’s Premier Division powerhouse Bangalow was tested by a young and talented Lismore Thistles team, however it was two decisive goals in the second half by FFNC 2016 Women’s Premier Division Player of the Year, Hollie Jarrett, that was enough to see the Bluedogs win their fourth consecutive title. Jarrett was named the Lisa Casagrande Medallist for being Player of the Match, with the prestigious medal presented by Lisa’s father Primo.
The full list of results from last weekend were;
Friday 9th September
- Men’s Division 6: Lismore Thistles 1 def. Eureka 0
- Men’s Division 7: Lennox Head 1 def. Casino RSM Cobras 0
Saturday 10th September
- Grade 16/2nd Division: Goonellabah 2 def. Lismore Workers 1
- Grade 15/2nd Division: Casino United 1 def. Uki Pythons 0
- Grade 13/2nd Division: Casino Cobras 7 def. Nimbin Headers 1
- Grade 12/3rd Division: Dunoon United 5 def. Casino Cobras 0
Sunday 11th September
- Women’s Premier Division: Bangalow 2 def. Lismore Thistles 0
- Women’s Division 2: Pottsville Beach 1 def. Goonellabah 0
- Women’s Division 3: Lismore Workers def. Alstonville 7-6 after penalties
- 16 Girls: Pottsville Beach 2 def. Alstonville 0
The last eight grand finals for season 2016 will be played at Oakes Oval this Friday night and Saturday with the schedule being as follows;
FRIDAY 16th September – Gates open at 5pm
- Men’s Division 4: Ballina v Lismore Thistles at 6pm
- Men’s Division 3: Alstonville vs. Byron Bay at 8pm
SATURDAY 17th September – Gates open at 8am
- Grade 13/1st Division: Alstonville vs. MBVFC at 9am
- Grade 16/1st Division: Alstonville vs. Lismore Thistles at 10:30am
- Men’s Division 2: MBVFC vs. Woodburn at 12 noon
- Men’s Division 1: Ballina vs. Nimbin Headers at 2pm
- Men’s Premier Reserves: Byron Bay vs. Lismore Richmond Rovers at 4:15pm
- Men’s Premier Division: Goonellabah vs. Bangalow at 6:30pm
Entry to Oakes Oval is $5 per person (aged 16 or over with ID required). NO Alcohol. NO glass. NO Smoking.
GOOD LUCK to all players, teams and clubs.
FFNC thanks ALL participants and stakeholders for their support in season 2016.